As a part of the PAQ team, you will be joining a group of individuals who are committed to helping change the lives of Indigenous men and women in Montreal. The Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for positioning PAQ as a dynamic and engaged community partner and ensuring a strong PAQ presence in the broader Montréal Indigenous community. The person in this position also works to build a vibrant internal association life of active participants, members, and volunteers.
What you’ll be doing
Duties and Responsibilities
Montréal Indigenous Community Engagement
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with the Indigenous community in Montreal, and with other Indigenous and Indigenous-serving organizations
- Ensure information sharing with the broader Montreal Indigenous community and promote participation by the Indigenous community members at PAQ meetings, celebrations, and events.
- Represent PAQ at external events and celebrations within the community.
- Build contacts and relationships within communities of origin of PAQ members, and ensure they are kept informed of PAQ events and happenings.
- Serve as a liaison between PAQ, other Montréal Indigenous organizations and Indigenous communities for important community milestones: deaths, births, marriages, etc.
- Collaborate with Intervention and Operations teams members to determine volunteer needs and prepare job roles
- Market volunteer opportunities via the website and social media platforms and recruit volunteers.
- Ensure volunteers are adequately trained to perform their role(s)
- Oversee scheduling of volunteer placements and monitor performance
- Maintain a database of PAQ volunteers.
Student Intern Coordination
- Build and maintain relationship with a broad range of academic partners
- In collaboration with the Head of Intervention Services, evaluate and respond to requests for student placements/internships at PAQ
- Liaise with student interns on all administrative aspects of the internship to ensure objectives are achieved
PAQ Community and Associative Life
- Establish and coordinate a PAQ users committee to generate ideas to improve PAQ, give PAQ members a stronger voice in the PAQ’s operations, enhance a sense off ownership and engagement by PAQ members, and increase feedback from members to Board and management on PAQ services and community life
- Organize regular consultations with PAQ members and users to ensure feedback on the quality of PAQ services and community life
- Provide overall coordination to PAQ community events and life celebrations
- Facilitate community education on PAQ’s democratic processes and prepare PAQ’s members for full participation at PAQ’s annual and special general meetings.
- Accompany and support community members participating on PAQ committees or on PAQ’s Board of Directors when necessary.
- Produce content for PAQ’s website, social media and donor reports.
What we’re looking for
Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years’ experience in a partnership-building, communications/facilitation, or project coordination role, preferably in the community sector
- Proven facilitation and animation skills.
- Strong language skills in either French or English with strong ability in the 2nd language; an Indigenous language is considered an asset.
- Experience working in the community sector; experience working with Indigenous communities or within the homelessness sector is a distinct advantage.
- Proven track record building and sustaining relationships with a wide range of internal & external stakeholders, for example: colleagues, community organizations, academic institutions, etc.
- Ability to plan and execute projects, set priorities, problem-solve, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates understanding and commitment to reconciliation for Canada’s Indigenous peoples.
- Enjoys meeting and building meaningful relationships with people from different backgrounds and traditions
- Personal qualities of integrity and resilience
- Energetic, motivated with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Ability to work a minimum 80% time at the PAQ administrative offices in downtown Montréal
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required
Contract: Full-time, permanent (35 hours per week; flexible schedule)
Location: Downtown Montréal at the PAQ administrative offices, with possibility to work remotely up to 20% time
Wage and Benefits: $24/hour + Group health insurance plan